Winter Mountaineering Courses
This is a five-day course developing winter walking and mountaineering skills and is at an introductory level.
Working in a small group of up to 4 with your instructor, the first day of the course will involve meeting other participants and discussing everyone's aims and objectives. Your instructor will then tailor the course to ensure you get the most you can out of the week.
Topics normally covered:
- Winter clothing and equipment
- Winter walking skills
- Development of movement skills on steeper ground-Snow/Ice and scrambling type ground
- Use of a rope, slings and karibiners
- Navigation in a winter environment
- Construction and use of snow anchors
- Selection and use of rock anchors
- Abseiling in a winter environment
- Winter skills - Navigation, route selection and preparation
- Avalanche knowledge
Equipment and Kit Information
All equipment will be provided, but bring along a packed lunch and plenty water. Transport from Dundee is available during the course.