Winter Mountaineering (WMC1) - Adult Intermediate
This is a three day course developing winter mountaineering and climbing skills.
Working in small teams of 2 with your instructor, you will revisit fundamental mountaineering skills and develop this to leading winter climbs. The low student to instructor ratio allows the course to be adjusted to meet your objectives.
Topics normally covered:
- development and consolidation of existing winter walking and mountaineering skills
- technique and skills of movement over steeper ground
- climbing skills for snow, ice and rock
- winter climbing equipment
- construction of snow anchors
- selection of rock and ice anchors
- lead climbing
- abseiling in winter
- winter navigation and route selection
- avalanche knowledge
This course can follow on from the Winter Skills courses or can be booked as a stand alone course.
You must have previous winter walking experience. Summer climbing and/or scrambling experience is also required.
The course will visit climbing areas in the southern and northern Cairngorms, central belt venues and Ben Nevis or Creag Meagaigh.
Is this the right course?
During the 3 days you will develop new and existing skills to allow you to confidently tackle winter climbing routes in the UK. Transport from Dundee is available during the course.
To book a place on this course, please click on the link below or call into the centre during our opening hours (NOTE- we can no longer accept card payment over the telephone)