Introduction to Winter Climbing - (Intermediate)
This is a two day course developing winter climbing and mountaineering skills.
Working in a small team of two you will spend two days with your experienced instructor developing the skills that are required to become an independent climber. You will be contacted before the first day to discuss your aims and objectives, the two days will then be tailored to ensure you get the most out of the course.
Topics normally covered:
- development of movement skills on steeper ground - snow/ice and scrambling type terrain
- Use of guide books and route choices
- use of a rope, slings and karabiners
- construction and use of snow anchors
- selection and use of rock anchors
- abseiling in a winter environment
- winter skills - navigation, route selection and preparation
- avalanche knowledge
The course venue will be selected to best suit the objectives and the weather/snow conditions, but will often visit the stunning mountains of the southern and northern Cairngorms.
As an intermediate level of course you should be comfortable walking in winter and have had some experience of steep ground (scrambling or climbing) either in winter or summer. Return Transport is provided from our base in Dundee. If condtions indicate it will be better to be based away from Dundee, we may stay overnight, however this cost is not included.
Meet at Ancrum Outdoor Centre 0800 with packed lunch and plenty to drink.
To book a place on this course, click on the link below to register/book online or alternatively call in person into the centre during normal office opening times.